sb16

I didn't manage to install sb16 on linux. I have already run make
menuconfig and make config, the command make clean, and so on. Then
compiling and installing the kernel again. However, i did not even get
an <sound..> message in the startup.
I have instaled SuSE 6.1, which i think is Debian, onto a AMD 5x85 with
sb16 value.
As I am not very familiar (yet) on  linux, i would appreciatte if
someone could help me with plain language and full descriptions (i.e.
which commands should i type and where).
        Thanks in advance for your help.
                        Jayer

Please answer to jorge.viana@mail.pt or to the "from" mail adress.