Re: emacs or xemacs ?

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Rob Mahurin wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 07:32:22PM -0400, Kristopher Johnson wrote:
> > I honestly don't mean to start a holy war here, but I'd like to
> > know:  Is there anyone who prefers Emacs to XEmacs, and why?
>
> I use emacs when I'm in a text terminal (like right now) because I
> haven't figured out how to use Xemacs' menus from the text terminal
> and some of the functions of Xemacs (e.g., syntax highlighting) seem
> inaccessible without mouse access to the proper menus.

I started to use xemacs for my latex work because emacs and auctex (at
least on slink) has some sort of bug which causes the ``quotation'' marks
not to work correctly as soon as you work on a file which already exists.

On a tty screen I still use emacs20 because xemacs's behaviour involving
the backspace and delete keys is giving me problems in that environment.
I would prefer to use emacs all the time if it was not for the auctex
problem I am experiencing.

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Honor the LORD with thy substance, and with the
      firstfruits of all thine increase; So shall thy barns
      be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out
      with new wine."      Proverbs 3:9,10