installing debian

Hello,

I want to try and install debian. As I have a rather old computer (i486, 4mb
ram and 60 mb Hard disk), I don't think I have room for both dos/windows and
linux so I want to remove dos completely first. This means I don't have
anything to fall back on when installing linux doesn't work. Could you
please advise as what to do and which debian packages I should install.

I have read the intallation guide to debian/linux. So I think I am
comfortable with the first few steps. But what then.

I've read that on a computer as old as mine, debian version 1.3.2 will work
a bit quicker then the latest version, so I am intending to install that
version.

Will debian/linux partition my harddrive to my needs (I don't have a clou as
to how to do that!)

I want to use my computer as a simple wordprocessor (maybe something
compareble to works for windows 3.0??? a bit wordprocessor, a bit database
and a bit spreadsheet.), nothing fancy and I want to be able to surf the
internet, send and receive e-mail, and make my own webpages.

Could you please advise me as to what packages to install and on any other
handy advise.

thanks in advance
Tino van Uffelen
tuff@kabelfoon.nl