Re: To the Debian Project, IMHO

JW> Also, I spend a lot of time in my job working on servers on the
JW> other side of the world, hidden behind slow, overloaded WAN links.
JW> Sure I *can* (and sometimes do) use ssh to run GUI apps on these

I know, what you mean.

But if a program is good designed, then it's easy to give it a
textmode and a graphic mode UI and last but not least even a command
line interface.

Even a command line driven interface can be easy to use and a nice and
pretty GUI can be hard to use.

JW> Or if your box is hosed and X won't come up and you can't get it
JW> out of single user because, say, /usr is trashed so you HAVE to
JW> fix it from the command line.  If you've learned on a GUI and
JW> never learned the formats of the underlying config files, you're
JW> hosed and quite possibly out of a job.

Where is the problem? A GUI is nothing bad - it's very good! If i'm
good in my job, i'm happy if i can easy do my job with a nice and easy
to use GUI. And if there are problems i'm able to edit config files by
hand with a text editor.

If you use a GUI you don't become dump!

JW> Granted, none of these things are common for the casual user, but
JW> such situations are very common for me.  I find that command line

It's very good, if this is possible to do. And here Unix is much
better than NT. But it's not very good if all you have are simple and
not very easy to use tools. Best is, if both are available.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.