Re: emacs or xemacs ?

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:32:42AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> - has built in news reader and mailer. Currently I am experimenting
> with Gnus. I have mixed feelings about it. Sometime I may try
> Mews.

Gnus and it's adaptive scoring are about the only thing that makes
most Usenet readable for me.  Every time I'm tempted to save some disk
space and use vi (well, vim) exclusively it is Gnus that convinces me to
keep (X)Emacs around.

> - hard to remember exact key stroke, unless you use it frequently.
> For instance, to change to another buffer, is it C-x C-b or C-x b?
> I always try the wrong one first (buffer listing). Other times,
> I am way off, eg to find a parent article in gnus, I type R A
> instead of A R. R is the command for reply...

I often find myself falling back on "M-x function-name" and apropos when
I don't know what I'm doing.  The exception is Gnus, where the menus are
pretty comprehensive so I tend to use them.

> - I use an Ultrix DECstation a lot. The Meta key on Ultrix, is in
> about the same position as the Ctrl key on IBM keyboards... To exit,
> I frequently am typing M-x M-c instead of C-x C-c. Often when I start
> to type the wrong command, it is difficult for me to abort. Sometimes
> Ctrl+G works, other times Esc Esc Esc works. Sometimes aborting has
> unwanted side-effects, eg closing all windows but the active one. I find
> this really annoying.

Remap the keyboard on one of them?  The wierd effects when aborting
sound like bugs, though...

> - just how do you use the menus from text mode?

IIRC it starts by hitting F10 under Emacs.  Don't know about XEmacs.
There's a writeup in the manual.

> I don't particular care what editor I use, just as long as it
> gets the job done efficiently.

AOL.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/