route, 2.2.x and slink

Hi.  I've installed kernel 2.2.12 on a slink
box and I appear to be having trouble with the
route commands.  According to the Debian page on
using Linux 2.2.x on slink, under netbase, "some
routes built by the netbase init scripts will
cause harmless warning messages".  The 'route
add -net' seems not to work and there are
some warning messages both during boot and
when trying the route commands.  For instance,

route add -net 127.0.0.0
yields a response of
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

It seems that the route add -net command is the
one in the scripts that's causing the problem.
The format of the command is according the
the man page, I think.  I don't notice any
loss of function because of this problem, so far.

Is there any further information on this subject?
I haven't found anything further in the docs
about this.

thanks,
--
tony mollica