Re: cannot connect to win98 using samba

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 06:16:09PM +1000, Shao Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have installed the latest samba from potato.
> 	when I do something like this:
>
> 	smbclient -L xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
>
> 	I got the following:
>
> 	session request to xxx.xxx.xx.xx failed
> 	session request to *SMBSERVER failed
>
> 	where xxx.xxx.xxx.xx is the ip address of the win98 machine. I
> 	can ping this machine successfully...
>
> 	Thanks in advance.
>
> Shao.

Well, there can be a good lot of reasons. The best thing to do is to follow
the troubleshooting guide on http://samba.org (the link is called: 'Diagnosing
Samba' in the doc section).

I think here the reason is that you are supposed to give a computer name and
not an ip address, so you might want to check nmbd config, lmhosts etc. There
is good doc on samba site.

Good luck,
-Lex