Re: what are the "standard" programming tools available in Debian?

>> > as for other bits of the toolbox, you need to use manpages, (perldoc has
>> > perl info, the C ones are harder to find; I don't think there is one
manpage
>> > that lists all the other C-based manpages..) grep, find, and maybe other
>> > bits too.

For C/C++  man pages beautifully organised ... tried gnu "info" ?
good documentation on GCC , GLIB , GDB etc and "hyperlinked" !!
btw: info pages for cp, ls , ln are also verrry informative.... !! my students
(and myself) learn from them...

cheers
venu