netscape mail time strangeness

(Please CC: any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list -- even
in digest format, it's just too big! :)

OK, I'm using the potato debs of netscape communicator 4.61, smotif
version.

As you'll probably be able to see if you look at the headers of this
message, Netscape Messenger doesn't obey my time zone settings (which
are properly set up -- Australia/Adelaide, +0930). I took a look on the
Netscape site (searched under support for "wrong" AND "date"), and found
a page which says this:

   Question:

       I have the time on my system correctly set to my
       local time zone-- that is, issuing the date
       command returns the correct date and time. Despite this,
       the time stamps on any email I write are wrong, consistently
       a few hours ahead or behind. Similarily, with email I receive,
       the time stamps issued by their mailer are correct, but Messenger
       adds or substracts the same amount of time from each message's
       timestamp.

       How do I get Netscape to display the right time?

   Answer:

       Logged in as root, make the following symbolic link:

       ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo

       This should force Communicator to use the local time zone,
       making the dates and time show up correctly.

Now, I've done this, but it still doesn't work correctly! Anyone had
any experience with this buglet? (Assuming this does work somehow and
I've just messed it up, shouldn't the postinst script handle this?)

Or should I file this as a bug against the package?

Ali Graham.

--

/ I'm the '4' in "404 Not Found" /