Re: Xemacs problem

"David Kanter" <KANTERD@bcbsil.com> writes:

> When I try to start xemacs, I occasionally get this error message:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
> Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
> Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> connections from your machine.
>
> Again, it doesn't happen all the time. However, nox-emacs works fine.
>
> What is going on?

You have by chance logged in as one user, su()d to another and try to
start xemacs as that other user?
Putting "xhost +localhost" in your .xsession might be what you want,
but only do that on a single-user machine, since it will allow anyone
who is logged into your machine to start X clients on your display.
(that could be nasty things like kbd-sniffers)

HTH,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows