Re: General kernel questions

> > I wanted to customize my kernel over the weekend, but after looking at what I assumed to be the current > kernel configuration (i.e., the options selected when viewing make xconfig), I was left with some
> questions.

(slip)

Well... This may be either a stupi or naive question, but it just came to my mind that *maybe* you (David) have got it all slightly wrong (kind of a 'windows scar')... (1)Have you already compiled a custom kernel for
you or (2)are you using the one that comes with Debian? If the answer is (2), then the mistery's solved... The 'default' kernel comes with a more-or-less 'comprehensive' build, with almost everything considered
'basic' for a regular user compiled into it and almost EVERY module compiled, also... It is NOT the same setting you see when you take a look in the 'defaults' for make menuconfig (or xconfig or just config)...

Maybe I got it?

Guilherme Zahn