Strange network troubles

Yesterday I rebooted my machine, and now I am unable to initiate any network connections. I can ping the box from the outside, and get web pages served by apache, but I can't do anything from that box. (ssh doesn't work, presumably because it tries to do a name lookup on the remote ip). dhcp has been flaky, but it seems to be working now. I'm running kernel 2.2.10 on a potato system (last apt-get upgrade was on the 9th, iirc). I am not running ipchains (firewall support is not built into this kernel). I have examined all files in /etc modified in the last 2 weeks, but found no sign of what may be happening. Does anyone know what may be causing this, or where I should look for more information? Please reply to me (ben_darnell@hotmail.com) as I'm not subscribed to this list.

-Ben