Re: change the ip address without rebooting

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Robert Maynard Rhyu wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Shao Zhang wrote:
>
> > 	How do I change the ip address of my machine without rebooting?
> >
> > 	I did an
> >
> > 	ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xx netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
> > 	xxx.xxx.xxx.255
> >
> > 	But it does not seem to be enough. After the above command, I
> > 	cannot telnet to anywhere unless I do a reboot...
> >
> > 	Can someone please help me??
>
> You must take down the interface prior to assigning it a new IP address:
>
> Be sure to edit /etc/init.d/network and /etc/hosts to reflect your
> changes if you intend to keep your new IP address.

When did this become a requirement?  I dynamically changed the address of
several boxes live.  I just had

ifconfig eth0 <old address & parameters>
ifconfig eth0:1 <new address & parameters>
route blah
route blah:1

in operation and

ifconfig eth0 <new address & parameters>
ifconfig eth0:1 <old address & parameters>
route blah
route blah:1

in my /etc/init.d/network.  I just ran /etc/init.d/network and it changed
fine.

Even wilder was the time I was coming in from a telnet session and ran
/etc/init.d/network from a remote computer.  Not only did the address swap
successfully, I didn't even lose my telnet session!

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNA
Systems and Networks Administrator

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
2414 Babcock Rd. Suite 106		templin@urdirect.net
San Antonio, TX 78229			(210)692-9911