mc not working (?)

Hi, I use mc frequently ( also to edit textfiles, I'm not a vi guy ), but
recently it stopped working.
when I try to start it, the machine hangs for a few seconds, there is a lot of
harddisk activity, then it exits with;
/usr/bin/mc: fork: resource temporarily not available.
I found out that the harddisk activity was due to a lot of files being created
in /tmp, 50-100 or so.
They all looked like this;
mcXXXXX-YYYYYYYYYY
with the X's being numbers starting at 20443, looking very much like a PID, and
the Y's just looking like random numbers.
I also noticed a process called queued running, which I do not think I have seen
running before.

I suspect this having to do with the fact that I'm running potato, and therefore
having mc in version 4.5.38-1

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be ?