Re: modem speaker

use ATM0 instead ATZ in your initiation scripts
for example:

exec chat -v                                            \
        TIMEOUT         7                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              \rAT                            \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATM0                            \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE                  \
        CONNECT         ''                              \
        ogin:           $ACCOUNT                        \
        assword:        $PASSWORD