Quake2 problems

I'm having a problem running Quake 2.  When I try to run it I get this
error:

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11047
------------------------------------
ref_gl version: GL 0.01
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx

When I get it running with the software renderer and try to switch to the
glx renderer, it seg faults.  I got it working with glx renderer once, but
it was really slow and not really there.  Only thing I could get was the
menu and it was dropping frames. Does anyone know what is file is that
it's complaining about?  I've had it running before so I have no idea what
this error is.  Am I missing something I need to run this?

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu   1999-00 |
Aka Khyron the Backstabber          |       L    I  NN N  U U  X X  O
ICQ# 2325055                        |       L    I  N NN  U U   X
                                    |       LLL  I  N  N  UUU  X X  O
"Shackles cannot keep me bound      |          A REAL Man's OS!
 forever.  I'm outta here."         |