Re: undelete for partition tables?

On Sat, 11 Sep, 1999 à 08:49:24PM -0400, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> "Jaldhar H. Vyas" wrote:
> >
> > Partition records exactly as they appear in MBR (EMBR):
> >
> In fact, I don't even know how he deleted that partition with DOS fdisk
> since it normally is not capable of deleting an extended partition that
> still contains non-DOS logical drives - which it also can't delete.

I think that win98's fdisk is able of such abomination when you ask the
support of large disk.

> I have used Norton's Disk Editor in the past to search for a sector when
> I have some knowledge of what's in that sector. For example, all
> partition sectors end with the signature "55 AA" as the last two bytes.
> However, even the newest version of the Disk Editor (from NU4) is not
> able to search a disk past 1023 cylinders (8 GB), and your disk is 17 GB
>
> The best I can suggest right now is if you have a copy of Norton's Disk
> Editor around, post back and I can give you a rundown on how to search
> for that sector - understanding that it may not work because of the size
> of the disk.
>
> Failing that, maybe someone reading this list knows a way to attack this
> problem using Linux tools. There's always a way, but it may come down to
> how much time and effort you and your colleague are willing to devote to
> this.

Loïc Prylli posted a C programm on the newsgroup fr.comp.os.linux some 2
years ago to detect an ext2 partition that can help to solve Jaldhar's problem.
This programm can be found on <http://www.linux-france.org> but I don't know
the exact URL. If you can't find it, I have a copy of it

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\