Newbie Installation ?s

Hey all,

I am trying to install Debian for the first time (first time installing any
GNU/Linux OS) on an old crappy 486 laptop currently running DOS/Windows3.1
off 4 Megs of RAM (like I said, crappy), and I was wondering if there was a
way to install Debian, and still keep it able to boot into DOS.  Perhaps I
could partition the drive in half and have one on each?  If I did that,
though, how would I be able to choose which one to boot from?
Also, does anyone know if a Mac will recognize Debian formatted disks (if it
has it's own format at all - hey, I said I was a newbie!) and files (assuming
there are converters available out there..).  I suppose if there wouldn't be
any conversion problems, I wouldn't need to keep DOS, anyways, actually..
heh..

TIA
-Noah