ppp & serial device problem: please advise

I've been ransacking the FAQs and list archives, but cannot find any
information on this problem specifically.  I'm using kernel 2.0 from the CD,
and I installed the system on my Windows box, using a 3.5" floppy to boot.
That's most likely irrelevant, so I'll cut to the chase: I'm having PPP
problems, and I think I have it narrowed down to the fact that my serial
ports are screwed up.  More specifically, that the system isn't recognizing
my serial port which would be COM2 under DOS.  I disabled COM2 in the BIOS
of my Asus P2B-F motherboard so that Win98 would work with my Rockwell 56K
modem; could this be the cause that the device is not recognized?  I played
around with setting up devices and using pppd manually with a daunting
command-line string, but it's not working for me.  The bottom line: I think
the whole problem is because Linux isn't recognizing my modem at all, or the
port on which it operates.  How can I set that up so that it will recognize
my modem as a valid port?  I'm a newbie, so if the question is one which can
be answered with the ever-concise RTFM, please point me in the direction of
the FM which would be most beneficial to read.  Any replies are greatly
appreciated.

Michael Phillips
wanderer88@usa.net