pvm package strangeness

This one's really got me stumped.  Here's the scenario:

Under slink/i386:

- user runs binaries linked to libpvm3
- suddently (as of this week), any calls made to that library result in a
  segfault - even the example program provided with pvm do this
- this occurs on several different machines, none of which have
  undergone changes that I'm aware of
- reinstalling the package doesn't change anything

The wrinkle is that downloading building the package myself using

  apt-get source -b pvm

results in a package that, when installed, *does* work.

It's the fact that things were working before which really confuses me...