Re: graphic login does not allow choice of wm

On Thu Sep  9, 1999, John wrote:
> Have installed 2.1 from Official CDs: this took 2hrs as program continually
> spent long periods searching sectors and 'resetting atapi' and made it difficult
> to recall what options I selected. After completion XF86Setup was run
> successfully and startx fvwm95 worked fine. Now on booting, a graphic login
> screen is presented and leads immediately to what I believe is olvm. I am
> unable to switch to any other window manager. I believe I must have agreed
> this default setting.

To set the default for the entire system, edit
/etc/X11/window-managers and put your desired window manager at the
top of the list.  Individual users can create their ~/.xsession like so:

#!/bin/sh

# Execute desired programs at X11 startup.  You generally
# want to run these in the background with `&'.
xterm &

# Execute the window manager of choice.  This should be the last
# item and should *not* be run in the background (i.e., with `&').
exec wmaker

> Am new to Debian (a little knowledge of another distribution). Can anyone
> explain how to change settings so I can choose which wm to use after login
> (I shall eventually opt for KDE or Gnome).

You probably have xdm installed.  If you want to choose at the login
screen what window manager to use, try wdm.  Also, the menu package
will allow you to choose your window manager from within your X
session, as well as creating menus for launching most of the major
programs.

Noel