playmidi: How to use?

I have read the playmidi-documentation but cannot figure out how to play a
soundfile with it.

The following happens:

$playmidi -r -f /mnt/bitware/voice/m0000155.rif
Playmidi 2.3 Copyright (C) 1994-1996 Nathan I. Laredo
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details please see the file COPYING.
playmidi: No playback device set.  Aborting.

The same happens when I copy the example from "Quickstart.gz" in
/usr/doc/playmidi:
playmidi -rR111 -C111 -D0 /mnt/bitware/voice/m0000155.rif

When I installed the program a question was asked by the installation
script about a device with the option to leave it blank.

I cannot find a configuration script (which was referred to in
/usr/doc/playmidi/changelog.gz:

"Created a simple Configure script to hopefully end playback problems
people are having because they didn't follow instructions."  I am not sure
which "instructions" it refers to.

I have a slink system and the playmidi package is playmidi_2.3-22.deb.

The particulars of my soundcard is

Sound initialization started
<Crystal audio controller (CS4235)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,3
<MPU-401 (UART) MIDI> at 0x330 irq 9
Sound initialization complete

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.
      Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your
      hearts, you double minded."       James 4:8