Re: Connecting to another X Server with WDM

In article <[🔎] 19990908213744.C15777@empire.net.au> you write:
>I recently talked the guys at work into letting me install debian on my
>computer there. It's a pretty crappy PC (P100 with 40M of RAM and a 1M
>VGA Card), but I mainly use it for netscape and connecing to an NT
>Terminal Server with Citrix (yuck!).
>
>Anyway, I'm obviously running a local X Server on my machine, which I
>log into using WDM. Sometimes, however, I want to connect to one of the
>other Sun boxen and run X off them, which I figure I should be able to
>do (like an X Terminal).
>
>My question is, how? With the X Terminals we have, there is a chooser
>app to select the system to log into. I've read the WDM docs, and I
>can't seem to find a setting to let me choose my machine or another on
>the local network.

if you just want to do it once off, run X like this:

X -query hostname

or

X -indirect localhost

for a menu

>Does anyone know how I might do this, of have suggestions as to where I
>could look? I'd be prepared to change back to XDM, or even GDM, if it
>can't be done in WDM.

I have a script to put in /etc/init.d/X that will automatically
restart X as required, in my diskless boot package. Please
ask for further details.

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>