IBM Thinkpad 560, "hard disk" install problems too

Hello,

I'm giving up for now on a CDROM based install.
It never lets me successfully install the "mcd" module, it
complains about a device or resource busy.  Perhaps I need
to supply command line parameters, but anyway I'm giving up for now.

HARD DISK INSTALL

I used Windows95 to copy the contents of the debian 2.1 CD to
a directory named "c:\debiancd".  I started the install from
scratch (boot with tecra rescue) (supply rescue, drivers) and
configured the devices for (mouse, serial, lp) I added support
for vfat, as many SCSIs as it would let me.  The SCSI syms would
not work, said it couldn't find the version it was compiled for,
but that might be OK.

ANYWAY, I install the base system OK from hard disk ( /dev/hda1 )
I again select the "Standard Development", and I use the access
method "hard disk".  It asks me for the directories, and I provide
the top level "debiancd/dists/slink" (I think) and it continues
asking me for contrib (I think I got past this).

When it actually starts to install the first package dpkg-perl
it get an unexpected enf of file in version number in
/var/lib/dpcks/methods/mnt/debiancd/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/devel/dpkg (I can't read my scribbles fully to continue)

QUESTION, Is it possible to install this way?  I mean copying the
entire CD to hardisk?  I see that the links are setup to use
"slink" as "stable", etc...

John