Re: Upgrading mail-transport-agent to postfix?

In article <[🔎] 19990908021859.A7698@willamette.edu> you write:
>A conflict in the debian sense, or a conflict in the "one is allowed but a

A conflict in the debian sense - ie dpkg produces a conflict error
message. Just in case enyone is confused (I don't understand why
everyone seems to be quoting my old case), I will requote the error
message:

snoopy# dpkg --no-act -i postfix_0.0.19990601-3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package postfix.
dpkg: regarding postfix_0.0.19990601-3_i386.deb containing postfix:
 postfix conflicts with mail-transport-agent
  qmail provides mail-transport-agent and is installed.
dpkg: error processing postfix_0.0.19990601-3_i386.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing postfix
 postfix_0.0.19990601-3_i386.deb

>single smtp server running at a time" conflict? I do wonder why

I would suspect that this could be a problem, but not for long.
(however, if I could install both qmail and postfix, it would enable me
to transfer one stage at a time, instead of everything at once. I have
a few non-standard things in my setup (eg fidonet), that I am not 100%
sure of under postfix).

>sendmail-purge qmail-install did not work for Brian, but to have both qmail
>and sendmail on the same computer seems a little dangerous. :)

This was sometime ago (perhaps the first Debian version), so it
might be different now. I hope nobody was confused when reading
my original message, I previously upgraded sendmail to qmail, but
that is now history. I now want to upgrade **qmail** to **postfix**.
I repeat. I now want to upgrade

qmail -------------> postfix

Anyway, the point is that I do encounter the problems when trying to
upgrade qmail --> postfix. I quoted the dpkg error message, above, and
in my previous message.

I am not sure what you mean, sendmail-purge, qmail-install. I will
translate that to qmail-purge postfix-install. Perhaps,
I should create my own apt-source directory with the slink
package for postfix, and use apt instead of dpkg? However, that
seems excessive.

snoopy# dpkg --no-act --purge qmail
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of qmail:
 ezmlm-idx depends on qmail.
 ifmail depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 mutt depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 inn depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 mailx depends on smail | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package smail is not installed.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 elm-me+ depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 newsgate depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 ifgate depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
 anacron depends on smail | sendmail | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package smail is not installed.
  Package sendmail is not installed.
  Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
  Package qmail which provides mail-transport-agent is to be removed.
dpkg: error processing qmail (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
 qmail

I don't want to have to uninstall all of these packages (except
perhaps ezmlm-idx which might not work with postfix).

snoopy# dpkg --no-act --purge qmail -i postfix_0.0.19990601-3_i386.deb
dpkg: you must specify packages by their own names, not by quoting the names of
the files they come in

(obviously dpkg is trying to purge packages named "qmail", "-i", and
"postfix_0.0.19990601-3_i386.deb", hence I conclude that I cannot
remove one package and install another in an "atomic" operation
using dpkg)

I could run dpkg with --force-conflicts, despite the claim:

WARNING - use of options marked [!] can seriously damage your installation.

I don't think replacing qmail with postfix will break anything, unless
I somehow break my mail configuration.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>