Re: Automatic software installing (like Win. 2000)

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 08:25:56PM +0200, Sami Dalouche wrote:
<snip>

> Thank you very much for all your answers. I didn't imagine this as hard as
> it is and didn't see the dangerous aspect of it.
> As a result, I will wait a bit before beginning so difficult and dangerous
> software like this.
> But your answers were very helpful.
>
> sami
>
> --
> LL      II  NN   N  U   U  X  X     RRRR  U   U  LL     EEEEE  ZZZZZ    !!
> LL          N N  N  U   U   XX      R  R  U   U  LL     E__       Z     !!
> LL      II  N  N N  U   U   XX      RRR   U   U  LL     E       Z
> LLLLL   II  N   NN  UUUUU  X  X     R  R  UUUUU  LLLLL  EEEEE  ZZZZZ    !!
>

> --

Something more useful should be an option to apt-get a pacakge based on a
filename. Something like the apt-get install 'virtual package'.
For example, we can do:
# apt-get install mail-transport-agent
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package mail-transport-agent is a virtual package provided by:
  zmailer-ssl 2.99.50.s19-2
  zmailer 2.99.50.s19-2
  ssmtp 2.33-1
  smail 3.2.0.102-2
  sendmail 8.9.3-3
  postfix 0.0.19990627-6
  exim 3.03-1
You should explicly select one to install.
E: Package mail-transport-agent has no installation candidate

So why not having :
apt-get install /usr/sbin/sendmail
which should return something similar.
OK, this would add the Contents-arch.gz file to download between update,
but, if this optional, it can be useful (may be an option in apt?).

More than that, it can be very easy to do.
gzip -dc Contents-$(ARCH) | grep "$FILENAME " | awk '{ print $2 }' \
cut -d\, -f1- --output-delimiter=' '

will give me with ARCH=i386 and FILENAME=usr/bin/sendmail:

mail/exim mail/sendmail-wide mail/zmailer mail/smail mail/ssmtp mail/sendmail

manipulate it a little, feed it to (g)dialog --menu, and call apt-get
with the answer and that's it.

For sure, it's not the only way to do it. Ameliorations and other methods
are left in exercices ;)

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70