Re: Revisit Large Hard Drives

Hi,

On Mon, 06 Sep, 1999 à 05:39:31PM -0400, Edward S. Baiz Jr. wrote:
> Well I have made alot of headway in installing Linux on my Atari Hades, but I
> have run into a snag. Just need some advice. Right I have been able to
> create and activate Swap and Linux partitions using my Jaz drive. The
> problem comes when the  Debian INSTALLATION PROGRAM gets to the next
> step of installing the kernel and other files. I have the necessary
> compressed files on one of my IDE TOS partitions in a folder called
> Debian (/dev/hda6). I also have it on a Jaz cart (/dev/sda1). I want
> the files to be installed on my cart cart (/dev/sda3). The install
> program tells me the kernel will be installed on /dev/sda3 and asks me
> where the compressed files are. The problem is that it gives me some
> choices of where these compressed files are: Floppy, Hard disk, CD-Rom.
> When I choose Hard Disk, it lists only the /dev/sda1 partition, but
> does not list any of the hda partitions eventhough it lists them as the

I've never tied to install debian on a non ix86 computer so what I suggest
is perhaps irrelevant.
When you install from harddisk, only (v)fat and ext2 partitions are shown
(minix also ??? don't remember). Partitions of other types are'nt shown.

Do you have the option to copy your deb files on a vfat type partition (on
the Jaz cartridge for example.
An other solution is to put them on an ISO9660 CD with rockridge extensions.

> be read? I have tried the MOUNT command, but with no success. I just
> need a couple of examples to show me just how to use it.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -t vfat
          |       |     type
          |     mountpoint
        device

with the install kernel for i386 type can be : minix, iso9660, vfat, fat,
ext2.

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\