Re: limiting NIS access

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 04:31:13AM +1000, Chanop Silpa-Anan wrote:

> How could I limit an access to debian box to only some account. I still would
> like to use NIS because of passsword maintenaince for user.

> Is there a method in limiting NIS access. Now every user who has account on
> Sun machine can log on to debian box with homedir=/

One approach is to create a netgroup containing those users that are
allowed to log into the machine in question, and then making the NIS
entries in /etc/passwd

@netgroup::::::
+::::::/bin/false

where netgroup is the name of the netgroup containing the authorised
users and /bin/false is some shell which denies access (you might wish
to make it something that prints a message explaining what's happening).

When looking for a password entry, the system will take the first entry
that is matched, so users in the netgroup will be able to log in as
normal while everyone else will have their shell replaced by something
that logs them out again.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/