Re: 3 things: exim, isdn, login.defs

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:37:39PM +0200, Peter Palfrader aka Weasel wrote:

> I check every 5 minutes wheter there is something in exim's queue ( if
> (exim -bp | grep -q '.*'; ); then...) and if this is the case I go
> online and force a queue run. Afterwards I go offline.

> The problem I encountered is that exim does it queue run in the
> backgroud which in generel might be a good idea but it is not in my
> case since I have to do a while loop after initiating the queue run
> until there is nothing more in the queue. This might raise problems if
> my smarthost is down due to some reason and I never can flush the
> mails.

> So I'ld like to know wheter there is a way to tell exim to do it's
> queue run in the foreground and exit when everything is done.

The queue run is started by the script /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim.  You could
either remove it or (perhaps better) modify it to create a lock file
while the queue is running.

An alternative approach is to use something like diald to bring the link
up and down as needed.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/