samba: cannot change password from Windws NT

I setup samba as a PDC for Windows NT. It works. But when I want to
change the password from the Win NT machine I get:
The User name or old password is incorrect. Letters in...
And in the smb logfile I get:
smbd/chgpasswd.c:check_oem_password(699)
  check_oem_password: incorrect password length (445298348).

The same when I want to change the password using smbpasswd
I didn't change the according lines in smb.conf. They read:

unix password sync = true
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New\spassword:* %n\n *Re-enter\snew\spassword:* %n\n *Password\schanged.* .

What could be wrong?

Stef