xemacs - efs ftp connection password problem

When I try to download packages in xemacs 21, It first tries to connect to
the ftp server. It the gives me an error:
efs is unable to determine a fully qualified domain name
for the local host to send as an anonymous ftp password.

The function `system-name' is not returning a fully qualified
domain name. An attempt to obtain a fully qualified domain name
with `efs-nslookup-program' (currently set to "nslookup") has
elicited no response from that program. Consider setting
`efs-generate-anonymous-password' to an email address for anonymous
ftp passwords.

For more information see the documentation (use C-h v) for the
variables `efs-nslookup-program' and `efs-nslookup-threshold'.

After i set the password manually through the
efs-generate-anonymous-password it works, the problem is that when I try
to set the variable before hand I get an error that there is no such
variable. Is there a way to set it in the .emacs file in order to solve
the problem?

Thanx
michf@math.tau.ac.il