PERL 5.005 install (was: RE: Dumb package install question)

I found my proftpd install problem.  When I try to install the latest
proftpd from the unstable section of debian, it requires PERL5.005.  So I
downloaded PERL5.005 and tried to install it.  It can't install because the
base install has a previous version of PERL.

I tried to uninstall the previous version and dpkg reported it was an
important program and won't uninstall.  How do I get around this ?
PERL5.005 is from the unstable section.  Is there possibly something wrong
with the package?

If I use apt-get, it gets the older unpatched version of proftp and installs
it successfully.  Can I tell apt-get to get unstable versions ?  How do I
tell it to overwrite an older version of a package ?  Should I???

thanks much for all the support,

paul