Re: Xfree86 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 or 3.3.5

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 08:50:45AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> I am installing slink from cd's.  I so far have installed the base
> system and have PPP working.  I need to get X setup, but the 3.3.2
> version on the CD's does not have support for my Matrox G200 AGP card,
> I know 3.3.4 does (maybe 3.3.3 too).  How can I get this from the
> netgod site (I don't have a graphical browser yet...), I'd like to do
> this via dselect with apt, but ONLY to get the updated X packages.  I
> will still install most every else from CD first, then upgrade one
> package at a time when needed.
>
> Can I mix the 3.3.2 X packages on the CD with an X server from 3.3.3 or
> 3.3.4 or do I need an all 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 system?  How do I set up
> deselect/apt to see the available 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 x packages from the
> debian server?  I need the Slink version of these packages (glibc2.0
> not 2.1).
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can give me here.  This is the first time I
> will attempt installing packages direct from the net (as opposed to
> downloading a single package via ftp and just dpkg -i it.)

Use apt as your access method with dselect.  Put the netgod site in
there in addition to the site for stable.  The latest available versions
will be shown on your selection list.  dselect/apt will identify any
dependencies for you.  If you have already installed packages from the
CD and then run dselect/update using the web sources, dselect will
choose to update to newer versions of any packages you have.  This is
desireable.

Bob