Re: WD drives was:IBM drives

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:

> WD has a utility on their website that you can run and actually repair the
> drive. I've had drives with bad sectors that i've repaired with utility
> that have lasted YEARS after the fact, without developing a single bad
> sector.
>
> Also, it's alot easier to convince WD to RMA the drive, if you give them
> the failure code that the drive reports with this utility.
> YMMV.
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Chris Wagner wrote:

I have had wd's in my machine for years and it did not have any problem...
however those were a 170 and a 340 meg drives. You can guess how much time
ago it was, though one of them is still working in one of my machines. The
other was stolen :( Well at least it was not WD's fault.

However, what WD's fault IS, is that my friend had a WD drive gone wrong,
starting to develop bad sectors.

>From the computer reseller the drive was bought from, we learnt that WD
usually corrects the errors of the drives which was returned to them as
having errors, repackages them and tries to sell them again with a
distinctive marking about a year after the appearance of the
respective model.

Of course these drives tend to fail again in not much time.

So you can buy WD, but if you do, then buy a fresh model which is less
than a year on the market.

Just my (and my computer reseller's) 2 cents...

Robert Varga