Re: syslogd kernel stack corruption

Horacio, near the tail end of the linux kernel README file, Linus
suggests what to do in case of a crash. (Wow... This is actually my first
crash-incident involving the kernel! I have seen X die once before, and I
had to login remotely and reboot in order to get the thing back... but this
is the first kernel panic I have seen under linux. :)

One suggestion I give people that run windows when their kernel crashes is
to run scandisk. You might want to run e2fsck on your filesystem to ensure
its integrity.

Here is the relevant snippet from *MY* 2.0.36 source's README:

[where is says "vmlinux" replace that with the name of your kernel -- mine
is /boot/vmlinuz, yours might be different..]

- In all bug-reports, *please* tell what kernel you are talking about,
   how to duplicate the problem, and what your setup is (use your common
   sense).  If the problem is new, tell me so, and if the problem is
   old, please try to tell me when you first noticed it.

 - if the bug results in a message like

        unable to handle kernel paging request at address C0000010
        Oops: 0002
        EIP:   0010:XXXXXXXX
        eax: xxxxxxxx   ebx: xxxxxxxx   ecx: xxxxxxxx   edx: xxxxxxxx
        esi: xxxxxxxx   edi: xxxxxxxx   ebp: xxxxxxxx
        ds: xxxx  es: xxxx  fs: xxxx  gs: xxxx
        Pid: xx, process nr: xx
        xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx

   or similar kernel debugging information on your screen or in your
   system log, please duplicate it *exactly*.  The dump may look
   incomprehensible to you, but it does contain information that may
   help debugging the problem.  The text above the dump is also
   important: it tells something about why the kernel dumped code (in
   the above example it's due to a bad kernel pointer). More information
   on making sense of the dump is in Documentation/oops-tracing.txt

 - You can use the "ksymoops" program to make sense of the dump.  Find
   the C++ sources under the scripts/ directory to avoid having to do
   the dump lookup by hand:

 - in debugging dumps like the above, it helps enormously if you can
   look up what the EIP value means.  The hex value as such doesn't help
   me or anybody else very much: it will depend on your particular
   kernel setup.  What you should do is take the hex value from the EIP
   line (ignore the "0010:"), and look it up in the kernel namelist to
   see which kernel function contains the offending address.

   To find out the kernel function name, you'll need to find the system
   binary associated with the kernel that exhibited the symptom.  This is
   the file 'linux/vmlinux'.  To extract the namelist and match it against
   the EIP from the kernel crash, do:

                nm vmlinux | sort | less

   This will give you a list of kernel addresses sorted in ascending
   order, from which it is simple to find the function that contains the
   offending address.  Note that the address given by the kernel
   debugging messages will not necessarily match exactly with the
   function addresses (in fact, that is very unlikely), so you can't
   just 'grep' the list: the list will, however, give you the starting
   point of each kernel function, so by looking for the function that
   has a starting address lower than the one you are searching for but
   is followed by a function with a higher address you will find the one
   you want.  In fact, it may be a good idea to include a bit of
   "context" in your problem report, giving a few lines around the
   interesting one.

   If you for some reason cannot do the above (you have a pre-compiled
   kernel image or similar), telling me as much about your setup as
   possible will help.