RE: Dumb package install question

I ran:
# apt-get -f install

Which straightened out my previous PERL error/conflict by removing 5.005.

I then ran:
# apt-get install proftpd

It supposedly installed and started it.  When I run:

server:~# ps aux | grep pro
root       937  0.0  1.8  1800   844  ?  S    00:42   0:00 proftpd

So it is running.  FTP login screen reports:

ProFTPD 1.2.0pre1 Server (ProFTPD)

When I run:

server:~# dpkg -i proftpd_1.2.0pre4-2.deb
(Reading database ... 11147 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace proftpd 1.2.0pre1-2 (using proftpd_1.2.0pre4-2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement proftpd ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proftpd:
 proftpd depends on perl5; however:
  Package perl5 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing proftpd (--install):
 proftpd

It reports no PERL5.  I guess I am surprised it needs it now.  Maybe the
dependancies have changed !  Would that make sense ...

paul