Fetchmail--SMTP connect to localhost failed

I found several references to this in the archives, but no solution.
When I run "fetchmail -k mail.acu.edu" and provide my password for
westk@mail.acu.edu I get a bunch of "skipping message #x not flushed",
followed by "SMTP connect to localhost failed".

Near as I can figure from the archive postings it's got something to do
with my exim.conf file. I've also seen a reference to .fetchmailrc, but
I can't locate such a file on my system. I've tried
uninstalling/reinstall fetchmail, and re-running eximconf several times.
I can fetchmail from another Debian box, so I know it can be done.

I can send mail from this box to my own account on this box, as well as
to my account on my ISP (university campus). I think I've tried every
permutation on the "qualify_domain" and "local_domains" lines in
exim.conf, but either I haven't hit the right combination or it's got
something to do with other lines in that file (or something completely
different).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!