Re: Cannot print from StarOffice

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 04:17:30PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   Dirk> I am at wit's end here -- I have a `network' installation of
>   Dirk> StarOffice 5.1 here at home for use by myself and my wife. It works
>   Dirk> fine, but just won't print. I even re-downloaded 5.1 again, and
>   Dirk> reinstalled, but no luck.  The machine is current potato with lpd and
>   Dirk> magicfilter installed and working.
>
>   Julio>  What distribution are you using, slink or potato?
>
> "Current" Potato (see end of penultimate line above).
>
>   Julio> It seems that some StarOffice functionalities hang when running over
>   Julio> potato with libc6 2.1. It does work fine with slink (libc6 2.0.7)
>   Julio> indeed.
>
> Yes, that's like it. Whenever it attempts to print, it hangs and starts
> several soffice.bin processes which I have to kill hard (kill -9, sometime
> even xkill).
>
> So then it's now me but rather glibc and staroffice?

You're lucky - my current potato install doesn't even install StarOffice..
A post in the debian-devel some months ago (http://www.nl.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9903/msg01782.html) explained how to make jdk 1.1 run over potato bypassing libc problems. I have tried to use a similar approach with no success. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to make a process run with a different libc than the one installed in the system.