Re: Cannot print from StarOffice

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> I am at wit's end here -- I have a `network' installation of StarOffice 5.1
> here at home for use by myself and my wife. It works fine, but just won't
> print. I even re-downloaded 5.1 again, and reinstalled, but no luck.  The
> machine is current potato with lpd and magicfilter installed and working.
>
> Does anybody out here have an idea?

The following seems obvious now but it took me a while to find it all.
I imagine that you've done all this and it still doesn't work, but maybe
this will help you or somebody else!

I couldn't print either until I found the PrinterSetup icon in the
StarOffice "DeskTop" (I was going through all the menu items looking for
PrinterSetup!). Looking now I can't tell what "driver" I used. Probably
some generic postscript one (probably the existing default), which goes
through magicfilter/ghostscript, etc. You have to "connect" it to "lpr -P
xxx" (where xxx is the printcap entry), and make it the default.

What amazed me is that it even prints color to the HP DeskJet 722c, which
is a windows-only printer on a Win95 box (I use Samba, etc). Color isn't
supposed to work!

...RickM...