re: IBM Thinkpad 560 install problem (debian 1.3)

> This is my first attempt to install linux ever.  I only have a 1.3
> debian distribution on CD, from "Boot" magazine, from 1996.  It may
> be that this version will never run on my system, or perhaps someone
> out there can help me.  The kernel is 2.0.29_2.0.29-7

You may want to make a set of floppy install disks from the current images. (I don't know
how that will work when you get to the CD and start installing packages.)
You can order the surrent distro for only a couple of dollars from cheapbytes.com

> When I boot from the "rescue" disk to perform the install, I
> type "linux floppy=thinkpad" at the "boot:" prompt.

I am running on an older 755CE thinkpad and with the current safe.bin disk- I did not have
to do that...

Also- do you need that much swap? Hell, if I had that much hard diak, I'd make a big swap,
too- but is it needed?

Koyote