RE: ide-scsi emulation problem

On 03-Sep-99 M. K. Honeycutt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have an ide/ATAPI cd writer and a cd-rom.  I compiled my kernel
> with scsi emulation and at boot-up they're recognized, but, not
> correctly.
>
>   This is what's listed at boot-up:
>
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> scsi : 1 host
>   Vendor:                Model:36x CD-ROM     Rev: 2.F0
>   Type: CD-ROM                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel0, id0, lun0
>   Vendor: MITSUMI        Model: CR-2801TE     Rev: 1.06
>   Type: CD-ROM                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel0, id1, lun0
> scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms total.
> sr0: scsi3-mmc  drive: 2x/24x  cd/rw  xa/form2 cdda tray
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.55
> sr1: scsi3-mmc  drive: 8x/8x writer  xa/form2 cdda tray
>
>   When running 'cdrecord -scanbus', it lists both devices correctly,
> however, it gives a (obvious) warning: "controller returns wrong
> size for CD capabilities."

I get the some error here. I don't know what it means, but I can still use my
cdrw just fine.  I use xcdroast, which figures out all the adaptor/bus/etc stuff
for me.

Just to make sure, do not have the normal CDrom module compiled into the kernel
or loaded.  You only want to have ide-scsi and sg loaded.  I mount my cdrom
through /dev/scd0, and the cdrw through /dev/scd8.  The cdrw is not /dev/scd1.

Can you "mount /dev/scd8 /cdrw"?

>   How can I fix this?  I followed the directions in, both, the kernel
> and cdrecord, as far as I know.
>
> M.
>
> p.s.  The cd-rom does work.  I can mount and use it.  The cdr doesn't
> work at all.

---
Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff