IMAP problems

Hello,

At my work we have an slink box running imap 4.4-4, and some WinNT
machines with Outlook clients. The Outlook clients connect every minute to
the IMAP server to check for new mail. inetd starts an imapd process for
that. For some reason, the processes never terminate; when I got to work
this morning the server box was almost unusable because of "Too many open
files", and there were hundreds of imapd processes on it.

Is this a bug in imapd or in Micros~1 Outlook, and what can I do about it?
Any advice would be appreciated. Please Cc: me as I'm not subscribed to
this list.

Regards,

Pontus Lidman