Re: Block stupid/annoying sites

On 02-Sep-99 damon@empire.net.au wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 10:26:28PM +0200, andreas palsson was heard to
> state:
>> I am using Debian GNU/Linux as a nameserver, and I wonder how do I
>> modify it to reject all lookups for stupid sites like
>> "ad.doubleclick.net" or any other annoying banner-site?
>> I've been told to use something called "junkbuster" but I rather not run
>> anything extra on the host, I simply would like to change something in
>> the bind-configuration.
>
> I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but I seem to recall
> having seen doing this exact thing using the IP tools. I'm not exactly
> sure, but I *think* it was in the IPChains HOWTO. The example was
> blocking a site (ad.doubleclick.net) with ipchains.

I do it using ipchains, and I used the example given in the HOWTO.  I think
it might be better to use Squid for this because it seems to me that using
an ipchains rule causes a DNS lookup to be performed on the IP addresses in
your ipchains rules.

Any comments from someone who knows about that?

--
Andrew