Re: ftp can build data connection - masquerading problem?

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 04:47:55PM -0300, Guilherme Soares Zahn wrote
> Hi there,
>
>     Lately I've been facing a strange and very annoying problem... When
> I try to do FTP from a site, it will almost surely drop my connection
> out when I try to build a data connection (either through a 'get',
> 'retr' or just a harmless 'dir') with a message like:
>
> ftp> dir
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused
>
> On other systems I've had a 'address already in use' or something, so I
> felt it could have to do with the IP Masquerading... I can't say for
> sure if it started just after we set our Linux router to do IP
> Masquerading or not, but I feel it was 'almost at the same time', so
> maybe I've just overlooked something when I did that... HTTP connections
> AND apt-get run just fine, though...
>
> Any ideas??

Correctly masquerading FTP sessions requires a special module,
ip_masq_ftp in 2.2 version kernels; Do you have this module
loaded (or built-in to the kernel)?

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au