Xwindows

Hey,

I'm new to Debian. I installed debian using one of the preselected packages, one
which, to my dismay, didn't include Xwindows. I then installed Xwindows  using
dselect, which seemed to work OK. As root, I can run Xwindows no sweat. But as
any other user, I get the following message:

X: you are not authorized to run the X server.
X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
Giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3) Server error

This seems like the permissions aren't correct, but when I check, it seems like
they are. Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?

TIA.

Bev