Why no "ftps" and/or "telnets"?

Hi,

one thing that puzzles me is why we have gotten SSH, SRP and other
services for secure data transfer instead of secure versions of already
existing services like we have for http (https). Some of this stuff is
even commercial software to the degree you literally need to license the
protocol itself (SSH2).

I am not a network guru at all, so I might miss something obvious here.
However, I would really have liked to see something like "ftps" and
"telnets" which was as invisible to the user as https. Then I would be
able to use my normal ftp client (ftps enabled of course) instead of
using ssh where file transfer is command line. Yes, I know Linux folks
like command line clients, but there are people out there preferring GUI
clients and mouse control. I am one of them.

I said above I might have missed something. Maybe I even missed that
what I have stated here as wish even exists? I have looked through the
packages in Debian, but I can not find any trace of anything like it
though.

Guess I will have to keep running SSH....?

Regards,
Christian Dysthe
E-mail: cdysthe@oddbird.dyndns.org
Web: http://oddbird.dyndns.org/cdysthe/