How to set line length?

Hi,

I am using mutt, exim, and emacs.

I would like to be able to just type long lines as paragraphs and have
something break the line length off.  I know this is a standard feature
in most mail systems, and it must be here, but I can't figure out how to set
it.  I understand some email readers don't handle long lines well, and
I don't want to be rude when I send mail to those people.

This must be in the documentation somewhere, but I have been unable to find it.
I tried to RTFM, and if I only knew which manual, I would be OK.

I considered setting up an emacs macro, but I figured there must be something
in mutt which I need to set?

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard