Database Conversion questions??

I have a series of large batabases that I need to be able to download
from a website. They are in the MSDOS zipped format so I think the
server and the system are managed using NT. The program that they are
supposed to be used with is definitely Windows based (they are for an
online ordering system). I want to be able to edit and manipulat these
files in Linux, Debian Slink. I think the problem that I have is that
the windows ascii text format is somehow different from that used in
Linux. I can download these files and do my editing with Lotus Approach
easily enough, but when I move these files to my Minivend server they do
not work at all. should I be converting these DOS ascii text flatfiles
to some Linux/UNIX format, and if so what with???
Thanks!
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems