Re: 800x600 Xwindows screen format

Brian May wrote:

> I find that lots of programs (eg emacs, xemacs, xnetscape, and from memory
> xfig) open up windows that a too big to fit on the screen, and it is
> awkward have to resize the window automatically after reloading. I
> don't particularly want to go into each application one by one to try
> and change the default load position, either - as I would have to
> find the special procedure for every application.

I would use the -g (geometry) option to the program like so:

  emacs -g 80x24+0+0

to start emacs with 80x24 columns positioned at (0,0) (top,right
corner).

For Netscape I use:

  netscape -geometry 800x600

I guess all you'd have to do is edit the entries in the .fvwmrc
file to include you geometry prefs.

> ...or is this a bug in my window manager (fvwm95)? Would
> using another window manager help? I know from the window manager
> sets the windows initial size and position, but the application
> can override it. I have no idea if this is the case or not
> for the above applications.

I don't know, but I don't think it's a bug.

--
Mark Wagnon       )     Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __