Re: z/bzImages, shell scripts

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 08:00:57PM -0600, Tom Lineman wrote:
> NOTE: I sent this message five minutes before I got my mailing list
> subscription confirmation.  Since the confirmation message said all my
> submissions would be returned, and I didn't get this mail back, I am
> assuming that my mail was discarded...HOWEVER if it was, in fact, accepted
> and you have already read this message before, please ignore this copy as it
> is just that: a copy (albeit with this note added).
>

> Hello there.  I have two questions regarding Debian v.1.3.1
>
> First of all, I'm running a 486 that has two partitions, one for MSDOS
> and one for linux.  Currently, my system boots off of the DOS partition.  To
> boot to linux, I have to insert my custom boot floppy and boot up.  What I
> would really like to do is use loadlin to boot to linux, but I really have
> no specific information concerning bzImages or zImages.  If someone could
> give me some info or a URL, I would really appreciate that.  One question:
> would it be possible to use a line somewhat like this:
> loadlin linux root=/dev/hda2 /dev/initrd=root.bin
> so that loadlin boots up using the "linux" and "root.bin" files?  Or would
> it be better to use a zImage?
I'm not sure what you are asking. The 'linux' file is a zImage, a
compressed copy of the kernel. A bzImage is a copy of the kernel that is
large enough to warrant special code to get it in memory. Also, you
don't need to specify /dev/initrd=root.bin, because the kernel will load
its root filesystem from /dev/hda2.

> My second question has to do with small shell scripts.  I was reading a book
> on Unix the other day, and it talked about "aliases," which it stated only
> ran under Berkely *nixes.  I'm guessing that means FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> or BSDI, but can Debian linux use aliases, too?
Not to be pedantic, but aliases are a function of the shell (usually
bash, but sometimes tcsh or zsh). AFAIK, bash (or whatever shell you are
trying to use) runs on all of the above operating systems, so you should
have no problem.

> The reason I'm asking is
> that I wrote some small shell scripts to make life a little bit easier.  For
> example, let's say I wanted to make a program called "delete" that would act
> like this:
> rm -iv
> so that I could "delete" a file instead of "rm"'ing it, like so:
> $ls
> deletethis.zzz
> $delete deletethis.zzz
> Are you sure you want to delete deletethis.zzz? y
> deletethis.zzz deleted
> $ls
> $
> I did that, but every time I ran "delete" I would get something like this:
> $delete deletethis.zzz
> Parameter not good (not verbatim, but it was close to this)
> use 'rm --help' for more details
> The same thing happened if I tried making scripts containing mv -iv and cp
> -iv.  What is the problem here, and just as importantly, what is a posssible
> solution?
What _exact_ commands are you using to set the aliases?

> P.S. I know this is probably a silly question, but if my CD-ROM drive is the
> second device on my first IDE Controller, would it be /dev/hdb ?
Yup, you're right on the money. BTW, The only silly questions are the ones
left unasked.

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com